Check-in & Orientation
Welcome to UNL! We are pleased to help you make your stay enjoyable and productive.
Check-in for International Students
9:00 a.m., Monday–Friday
All new students should visit us upon first arrival in Lincoln.
Bring with you:
- I-20 or DS-2019 form
- letter of job offer at UNL (if applicable)
The check-in process will take 30–45 minutes. If you have a spouse or children with you in the U.S., please bring their paperwork also.
Other Important Tasks
- Update your local address!
- Graduate Students: Complete the Grad Student Arrival Checklist.
- J-1 visa holders: Speak with an ISS Specialist before beginning any employment duties!
- If you have employment, apply for a Social Security Number using the application form. Visit the Social Security Administrationfor more information.
- Intensive English Program (IEP) students must also check-in with the IEP office.
- New International Student Enrollment Fee: All new international students in the F and J immigration classification are billed a one-time new international student enrollment fee. For undergraduate students this fee is included in your enrollment deposit. For graduate students this charge will be on your university bill in October (for new students who begin their programs in the summer or fall) and in February (for new students who begin their programs in the spring). To see more information about university tuition and fee charges click here.
New Student Orientations
A new academic experience in an unfamiliar city can be quite a shock at first. Attending student orientation allows you to meet new friends, get acquainted with faculty and staff, tour campus, and make the transition to UNL life as easy as possible.
Orientation is an important first step. Make sure you're involved!