- New Scholar
- Permanent Resident
- Other Scholar
Employment for Dependents of Int'l Scholar
A J-2 visa holder may work in the U.S. after obtaining an EAD card.
USCIS approval may take up to 120 days.
To apply for an EAD card, you will need:
- Completed I-765 Application
- Leave Line 9 blank if you do not have a Social Security number.
- On Line 16 enter ( C ) ( 5 ) ( ).
- Photocopies of the following for both J-1 scholar and J-2 dependent:
- front and back of white I-94 card (make a two-sided copy)
- name page in passport, including any passport extension pages
- visa stamp in passport (not applicable for Canadian citizens)
- any previously issued EAD cards
- Check or money order, payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security, stapled to I-765.
- Visit the USCIS website for current fee amount
- Two U.S. passport photographs
- Print your name lightly in pencil on the reverse of each photo
- Place in an envelope labeled with your name, I-94 number, and the word "Photos"
- Financial statement
- Photocopy of marriage certificate (with certification of translation if not in English)