Employment for Dependents of Int'l Scholar

A J-2 visa holder may work in the U.S. after obtaining an EAD card.

USCIS approval may take up to 120 days.

To apply for an EAD card, you will need:

  • Completed I-765 Application
     - Leave Line 9 blank if you do not have a Social Security number.
     - On Line 16 enter ( C ) ( 5 ) (   ).
  • Photocopies of the following for both J-1 scholar and J-2 dependent:
     - front and back of white I-94 card (make a two-sided copy)
     - name page in passport, including any passport extension pages
     - visa stamp in passport (not applicable for Canadian citizens)
     - DS-2019
     - any previously issued EAD cards
  • Check or money order, payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security, stapled to I-765.
     - Visit the USCIS website for current fee amount
  • Two U.S. passport photographs
     - Print your name lightly in pencil on the reverse of each photo
     - Place in an envelope labeled with your name, I-94 number, and the word "Photos"
  • Financial statement
  • Photocopy of marriage certificate (with certification of translation if not in English)

H-4 status

H-4 visa holders may not be employed in the U.S. Contact ISSO with any questions about employment.