Employment as F-1 Student

Employment is defined as any type of work performed or services provided in exchange for money, tuition, fees, books, supplies, room, food or any other benefit. If you receive no pay or other benefit for the work performed and the position is normally an unpaid position, it will most likely not be considered employment. However, we advise you to consult with the ISSO before beginning any work (or service) outside UNL.

Types of Employment Available to F-1 Students

On-campus employment provides a paycheck from UNL or the businesses in the Student Unions such as the Bookstore, Runza, Subway, Sbarros or Imperial Palace (the student can work only at store locations inside the Unions).

Positions include teaching assistantships, research assistantships, some fellowships, and hourly employment (landscape services, food services, or libraries, to name a few). Paperwork for on-campus employment is processed by the business office of the employing department/office.

F-1 students are restricted to the amount of hours per week they may work:

  • 20 hours per week maximum during Fall and Spring academic semesters
  • Full-time (21 hours or more) if on-campus during semester breaks, official University holidays or summer vacation
An F-1 student may not work on-campus after program completion unless he or she has a new I-20 and plans to enroll the following semester in a new academic program (beginning an MS degree after graduating with a BS degree, for example). See an ISS Specialist for details.

Off-Campus Employment