Maintain Status as J-1 Student
As a J-1 student you enjoy certain benefits, but you also have specific guidelines to maintain your status.
ISS Specialists can help you understand immigration rules, but maintaining your immigration status is your responsibility.
- Register as a full-time student every Fall and Spring semester until you graduate, and make satisfactory progress towards program completion.
- Undergraduate students: register for 12 or more credit hours.
- Graduate students: register for 9 or more credit hours.
- If you need to drop below full-time status for any reason, request authorization from ISSO before doing so.
- Maintain health insurance coverage for you and your dependents.
J-1 students, you will be enrolled in student insurance every semester unless you provide proof of comparable coverage to obtain a waiver. To enroll your eligible dependents, contact the Student Insurance Coordinator.
- Do not obtain employment without prior approval from ISSO.
- Report changes of address within 10 days of moving to a new residence.
- Have a valid I-94 card marked “D/S” or “Duration of Status”
- Inform the ISSO of any change in dependents and status
- If you wish to transfer from UNL to a different school, do so in a timely manner
- Request a new DS-2019 if you:
- change degree programs at UNL
- officially change your major or minor with an academic advisor
- need to add dependents
- experience a significant change in financial support
- If you will not complete your program before the expiration date on your DS-2010, request an Extension of Stay at least 2 weeks before the expiration date
- Maintain a current passport (valid for at least 6 months into the future)
- If you are a sponsored student, contact your Responsible Officer listed on your DS-2019 for guidance and benefits concerning your status.
End of Program
- After you complete your program as a J-1 student, you'll need to leave the U.S:
- within 30 days after the program end date specified on your DS-2019
- immediately upon completing the academic program, unless academic training or transfer has been approved. Contact an ISS Specialist if this applies.
- immediately upon termination of your I-20/SEVIS immigration record by ISSO for any other reason. Contact an ISS Specialist.
You may be subject to the 212(e) 2-year physical presence requirement.
If you have concerns or questions regarding anything about your J-1 status or additional requirements of this visa, contact an ISS Specialist.