Travel of Dependents

If dependents are traveling to Canada or Mexico for less than 30 days, please speak with an ISS Specialist regarding visa revalidation before traveling.

If dependents are traveling to a country other than their home country, they may need to obtain a tourist visa for that country.

F-2 and J-2 visa holders who plan to temporarily leave the U.S. will need re-entry documentation to return to the U.S.

  • A current passport with valid entry visa stamp
  • A current, valid dependent I-20 or DS-2019 with a valid travel signature obtained from ISSO before traveling.  If the F-1 or  J-1 student has changed their program of study, degree level, or had a significant change in financial status, he or she needs to get an updated I-20 or DS-2019 from ISSO for themselves and their dependents.  Please see the F-1 Maintain Status page or the J-1 Maintain Status page for more information. 
  • Evidence of the funding noted on the I-20 or DS-2019
  • An unofficial academic transcript of the F-1 or J-1 student (and a photocopy of the EAD, if the F-1 holds OPT).